Personal Information is defined as information about an identifiable individual including customer information pertaining to the use of Canadian Volvo Club membership fees, credit card information and purchase information whether provided in writing, orally or by electronic means. Personal Information does not include information that is business contact information, is publicly available information such as business names, addresses, telephone numbers, and electronic addresses (email and web address, social media links) when listed in a public directory or made available through another publicly available directory or other sources.
The Canadian Volvo Club wants you to know how it keeps your Personal Information secure and uses it only as necessary and as is authorized. In recognition of this goal, the Canadian Volvo Club makes the following commitments to its members and supporters.
AccountabilityThe Canadian Volvo Club is accountable for the Personal Information under its control and has designated the Club Secretary as the Club's Privacy Officer. There are other individuals within the organization who have responsibility for the day-to-day collection and management of Personal Information.
- The Canadian Volvo Club identifies the purposes for which Personal Information is being collected at or before the time of such collection.
- Generally,the Canadian Volvo Club collects Personal Information for the following reasons:
- To establish and maintain a community relationship with its members and provide ongoing membership;
- To understand member needs and obtain feedback on the benefits and services it provides;
- To develop, modify and market new services to its members;
- To manage and operate the Canadian Volvo Club’s normal/daily and other operations;
- To meet legal and regulatory requirements; and
- To facilitate continued support for both members and the club sponsors.
- In the event that the Canadian Volvo Club is required to use, disclose or collect Personal Information for a purpose not listed in (b) above, the Personal Information will not be used or disclosed without first identifying the new purpose and obtaining the member or supporter’s consent, unless otherwise exempted by the Act.
Obtaining Consent for Collection, Use or Disclosure
- The Canadian Volvo Club collects Personal Information by fair and lawful means and obtains the individual’s consent for the collection, use or disclosure of said Personal Information, as required by the Act or other laws.
- The consent may be expressed, implied or given through an authorized representative.
- A member or supporter may withdraw consent to use his or her Personal Information at any time, subject to any legal or contractual restrictions and upon giving the Canadian Volvo Club reasonable notice. The Canadian Volvo Club will advise the individuals of the implications, if any, of withdrawing consent and how to do so.
- While the Canadian Volvo Club will seek consent from a member or supporter to collect, use and disclose Personal Information in most circumstances, there are some exceptions to the requirement to obtain consent. These exceptions include, but are not limited to, where the Canadian Volvo Club is required to comply with a court order or investigation by law enforcement agencies.
Limiting Collection of Personal Information
The Canadian Volvo Club limits the collection of Personal Information to that which is reasonably necessary for the identified purpose(s).
Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
- The Canadian Volvo Club does not use or disclose Personal Information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or stakeholder, or as permitted or required by law.
- The Canadian Volvo Club retains Personal Information only as long as is necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes or as required by law.
- The Canadian Volvo Club may disclose Personal Information to a person or organization involved directly or indirectly in supplying a product or service to The Canadian Volvo Club's customers or partners, including without limitation, board of directors, its membership chair and mailing list maintainer (Website administrator). This disclosure is only made to the extent the Personal Information is required and is used only for the purposes such as the efficient supply of the Canadian Volvo Club events/services. Such disclosure requires the receiving person or entity to keep the Personal Information confidential.
- The Canadian Volvo Club will take reasonable steps to ensure that only board members/directors/volunteer positions who need to know or whose duties so require, are granted access to member or supporter Personal Information.
The Canadian Volvo Club takes reasonable steps to maintain Personal Information accurate, complete and up to date as is necessary for the identified purpose(s). Members and supporters are entitled to check on the accuracy of their Personal Information and, if necessary, submit a correction request. The Canadian Volvo Club will rely exclusively on the information provided by the member or supporter in determining the completeness, accuracy and timeliness of his or her Personal Information and will have no further obligation to seek independent verification of the information supplied.
The Canadian Volvo Club protects Personal Information from unauthorized access, use and disclosure by establishing and maintaining security safeguards.
The Canadian Volvo Club makes information readily available about its practices and policies related to the collection and management of Personal Information of customers and partners.
Obtaining Access to Personal Information
- Upon request and in accordance with the Act, the Canadian Volvo Club will provide its members, supporters and sponsors with access to their Personal Information and details about its disclosure and use. The member or sponsors may challenge the accuracy of the Personal Information and to have it corrected.
- The Canadian Volvo Club, in certain circumstances, may not be able to provide access to all Personal Information where it is unreasonably costly to provide, the information contains references to other individuals, the information cannot be disclosed for security, legal or commercial proprietary reasons or the information is subject to solicitor client or litigation privilege. The Canadian Volvo Club will provide its reasons for denying access in writing.
- The Canadian Volvo Club shall make all reasonable efforts to respond to requests for access to Personal Information within 30 days of receipt of the request at a minimal or no cost to the individual.
The Canadian Volvo Club provides supporters and sponsors with information about challenging its compliance with the Act.
All complaints and/or questions should be directed to the club secretary as follows:
Canadian Volvo Club
Secretary: secretary [at] canadianvolvoclub.org